Monday, March 18, 2013

8 Mini Reviews: Best and Worst Makeup Remover

Best


Noxzema Clean Moisture
Makeup Removal Cloths

Price: $4.79 at Drugstore.com

Quantity: 25 per package
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The lovely Jessica sent me these when I told her I was desperate for makeup remover in Korea, and she got me hooked! I stopped asking her to ship them to me because I realized how expensive it is—even my friends back in PA stopped sending me care packages after the first few months because of costs—but thank heavens they're available online.


Pros: Wipes makeup away effortlessly // Smells fabulous // Easily found in most drugstores and marts // Leaves skin smooth and clean // Refreshing // Alcohol-free // Safe for eyes // Dermatologist-tested // Affordable // Smooth, non-irritating texture // Non-irritating formula // Can be used on entire face // Resealable package


Cons: I ran out!


Verdict: One of my beauty staples. Have bought again and again Americanflag


- - - - - - - - - -

Uriage L'eau Démaquillante
Cleansing Water Micellar Solution

Price: $23.00 via Amazon

Volume: 4.2 fl. oz. (250 mL)
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Uriage is my very expensive, very French skincare line of choice. I received a small bottle of this cleansing water when I purchased my $20-per-ounce cleanser, and I love it! This stuff is a godsend (as are all of the company's products), I swear it. Based off France's highest quality thermal water (ahem... eau thermale), this micellar solution is gentle and revitalizing, but I do admit it's a bit out of sane price range.


Pros: Wipes makeup away effortlessly // Great for sensitive skin // Refreshing // Detoxifies // Moisturizes // Gentle // No need to rinse // Alcohol-free // Paraben-free // Ophthalmologist-tested // Hypoallergenic // Can be found at most pharmacies (at least in Korea) // Safe for contact lens wearers // Can be used on entire face // IT'S FRENCH, BITCHES


Cons: Expensive // Dispenses sloppily // Only available through indirect retailers or on French cosmetics sites


Verdict: I would keep using this if I could afford spending more $$$ on Uriage, but unfortunately, seeing as I already spend about 84% of my money on this company, I need to invest my money on other makeup removers Americanflag


- - - - - - - - - -
Eye Makeup Remover Pads

Price: $4.99 at Drugstore.com
Quantity: 80 per package
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

This is my go-to makeup remover because the huge 80-count container lasts forever, and because the small pads are suitable for anything. They can't be used on the face (i.e. for foundation or blush), but they work wonders on eye makeup. Almay is the best a drugstore brand gets, and for the amazingly low price, this one's definitely a beauty steal everyone should try.

Pros: Wipes even waterproof makeup away effortlessly // Allure magazine's Best of Beauty winner // Fragrance-free // Easily found in most drugstores and marts // Oil-Free // Great for sensitive skin // Contains aloe, cucumber, and green tea to nourish skin // Hypoallergenic // Affordable // Safe for contact lens wearers // Non-irritating formula // Saturated; no scrubbing // Awesome, hygienic packaging

Cons: Pads are tiny; use one for each eye // Can only be used on eyes // A bit tough on waterproof makeup

Verdict: These are fantastic both on the run, and at home. Definitely one of my repeat buys Americanflag

- - - - - - - - - -

Proactiv Makeup Remover for Sensitive Skin
Makeup Removing Cloths

Price: $15.00

Quantity: 45 per package
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I got to try these for free (the company sent me a pack for taking a skin survey on the phone) and can tell you the price tag reflects the quality. I can't vouch for Proactiv's skin care line, as I've never tried it before, but these wipes are lush, refreshing, and definitely effective. Chill them in the fridge before using for an extra-special treat!


Pros: Wipes makeup away effortlessly // Great for sensitive skin // Refreshing // Soothing // Alcohol-free // Fragrance-free // Oil-free // Soap-free // Saturated; no scrubbing // Non-comedogenic // Smooth, non-irritating texture // Can be used on entire face // Resealable package


Cons: Only available through indirect retailers and Proactiv // Moderately expensive


Verdict: I would buy again if I could afford this pricier brand regularly, and if available at regular stores Americanflag

- - - - - - - - - -

Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

Price: $18.00

Volume: 3.4 fl. oz. (100 mL)
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Yes, I'm a bit of an Estée Lauder whore, but aren't we all (if we could afford to be)? My dear mother introduced me to this eye makeup remover, and I love how it doesn't contain oil, but is still gentle. Usually oil-free formulas can be harsher, but this French brand is an exception. My only complaint is the price tag for the teeny bottle. 100 mL is just a little bit bigger than travel-sized body products.


Pros: Wipes makeup away effortlessly // Great for sensitive skin // Refreshing // Gentle // Oil-free // Paraben-free // Ophthalmologist-tested // Dermatologist-tested // Safe for contact lens wearers // Suitable for all skin types // IT'S FRENCH, BITCHES


Cons: Expensive // Unsealed bottle; risk for potential spillage // Only available through indirect retailers, Estée Lauder counters, or on the Estée Lauder website


Verdict: I have used this stuff again (thanks Mama!) and have even used my own money to purchase. It's on my vanity right now Americanflag


- - - - - - - - - -

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Price: varies (at groceries, drugstores, marts, and online)
Volume: varies
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Don't ask me why it has to be extra virgin—supposedly that's the purest type so it's automatically the best option for the face, but I mostly just use it because it would be sacrilege to use slutty olive oil. I love love love this stuff to remove makeup because it gives me a break from all the chemicals and harsh formulas of store-bought makeup removers. When my skin's feeling sensitive, and I can't be bothered to scrub, I just use this on a cotton ball and it doubles as a cleanser and moisturizer too! Best of all, it's right in the kitchen; no need to go spend extra money on it. Since I have acne-prone skin, I try not to use olive oil regularly; since it's entirely oil-based, there's high risk of pore clogging, and we wouldn't want that. But if you're out of your usual makeup remover pads, or just if your face needs a break, I definitely recommend trying this home remedy.

Pros: Wipes even waterproof makeup away effortlessly // Available anywhere! // Multiple-purpose: cooking, moisturizing, hair masks, healing scars, etc. // Great for sensitive skin // Moisturizes // Highly affordable // Nutrient-rich // All-natural

Cons: Can be irritating, especially if in contact with eyes // May clog pores and cause acne // Smelly // Beware, allergens!

Verdict: Will always buy again, but can't use everyday because of clogged pores Americanflag


- - - - - - - - - -

Lancôme Bi-Facil
Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover

Price: $28.00

Volume: 4.2 fl. oz. (250 mL)
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

This was the first makeup remover I ever tried because it was the only makeup remover my mom would let me use (I was 12, okay?). I've stayed loyal to it since, although it's not something I buy regularly because of the cost; the bottle is only slightly bigger than travel-sized shampoo bottles, but contends at $28. I only use it when Lancôme sends me free samples, or when my lovely mommy buys me some. 7 hearts because it works fantastically on waterproof eye makeup, but I don't like the oily residue it leaves behind. Make sure you shake this before using; the oil and the water separate.


Pros: Wipes even waterproof makeup away effortlessly // Great for sensitive skin // Soothing // Alcohol-free // Ophthalmologist-tested // Safe for contact lens wearers // Conditions skin around eyes


Cons: Crazy expensive // Oily // Contains fragrances that could irritate // Packaging is inconvenient: cap is hard to twist off and bottle is unsealed, so there's risk for potential spillage // For eyes only // Only available through indirect retailers, at Lancôme counters, or on the Lancôme website


Verdict: Worth using, but not buying. I only keep using it because of the damn nostalgia Americanflag

Worst

Eye Makeup Remover

Price: $4.54
Volume: 5.5 fl. oz (160 mL)
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Bleugrhghghhh this is absolutely the most miserable makeup remover I've used. Not only does it NOT remove makeup, but it also has lots of unnecessary chemical additives that are bad for skin. After scrubbing at my eyes for a good five minutes, I gave up on this Target brand and just rinsed my face with soap and water, which seemed to do a lot more than this was doing. The only reason I bought this was because it was $3 cheaper than the brand-name bottle next to it. Worst. Decision. Ever. It got into my eyes and stung like a motherfucker, and my eyelids got red and puffy for a while, too. I did manage to salvage some of it by pouring half of it out, and adding in olive oil. It worked as a decent oil-based remover, but even with the adjustment, I couldn't stand it. (The oil started breaking down after a few weeks... that's how harsh up & up is).


Pros: Affordable // Oil-free // Petroleum-free // Found in Target stores

Cons: Contains fragrances that can irritate // Contains parabens // Contains sulfates // Doesn't remove makeup // Unsafe for eyes // The sole reason why drugstore brands have a bad rep

Verdict: Never ever ever trying again Americanflag

I'm lucky I haven't had too many bad experiences with makeup removers, but I've definitely tried some eh ones including CVS's Towelettes (Pros: gets makeup off decently, cheap; Cons: have to scrub a bit; rather dry), Daiso's Makeup Tissues (Pros: VERY cheap, gets the job done, very smooth rubbing; Cons: sheets are too thin—almost like wet toilet paper!, formula is questionable, no ingredients list) and Lancôme Effacil (Pros: works well, oil-free, water-based, gentle formula, ophthalmologist-tested; Cons: pricey; contains fragrances that can irritate; doesn't work on waterproof makeup).

I'm eager to try the below brands, so I'll be on the post if I get the chance!


Most Desired



From left to right:

Clinique: Take the Day Off {Makeup Remover for Lids, Lashes, and Lips}
Garnier: The Refreshing Remover {Cleansing Towelettes}
Mary Kay: Oil-Free {Makeup Remover}
Yes to Cucumber: Soothing {Hypoallergenic Facial Towelettes}

- - - - - - - - - -

Let me know if you've tried any of these! I wanna know what you thought!