Thursday, July 26, 2012

♥♥♥♥♥: The Finding by Timothy Cavinder

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JZBIy4RE9gY/UAWv7YmO1OI/AAAAAAAAAho/oeOd3C8tlyM/s1600/BookCoverImage%20(1).jpg
Release Date: December 8th, 2011
Publisher: CreateSpace
Page Count: 139
Source: From the author, via Innovative Online Book Tours for review

The Finding takes place in a small town. It examines the issues of how people who have been emotionally damaged and greatly disappointing by the people and circumstances of their lives somehow manage to carry on with the hope or belief that something or someone fulfilling exist in their future. The story begins when Horace's truck won't start and he gets a ride into town. He needs to pay his property taxes and also to buy a new white shirt. The reason for the new shirt is an impending visit from his older bother Donald and his Bible thumping wife Vivian. Their arrival brings many unexpected twists into Horace's otherwise simple life. While this is occurring Millencent who lives down the street from Horace decides to pack up and go on a quest to find her long lost sister Susan. This quest takes her to several locations where what she eventually finds is a surprise to herself and others. What the main characters end up finding isn't anything like what they expected.
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q505/iobooktours/thefinding-page1-1.jpg

What Stephanie Thinks:
The Finding is a story that is simple in stature but complex in deeper meaning. Though we are introduced to several different characters' perspectives and different stories (which are all eventually somehow connected), it isn't difficult to follow because of the straightforward, unadorned writing. I do love the 'literary' feel to this book. Reminds me of Mitch Albom, with its rather poetic style of prose.

I however, don't have much other praise to give because I still don't understand the point of the entire story. It is highly disorganized with a confusing structure. The text itself is easy to understand, no fancy words or tricky twists, but none of it is particularly coherent, or even remotely able to form a comprehensive story. Yes, I see how it is about a few seemingly uninvolved townspeople searching for their true callings, and eventually, finding themselves, but my overall opinion of the book is not satisfaction, and certainly not pleasure. I just felt kind of empty after I finished it, as in What did I just read for the past two hours? Not a settling feeling, especially not for a hungry reader like me.

The numerous typos annoyed me as well, but as this one's self-published, I can't dock too many points. Content, not conventions, you know ;) The stories that followed the histories of Horace, Millencent, and Jimmy are tolerable, but again, nothing at all exciting.

I wish I could have enjoyed this one a lot more, but because of its lack of proper structure and outline, I found it a disappointing read. I feel it should have been a short story but was drawn out into a novel. Lots of blanks and ramblings here and there. Potentially, it could be a good book, but because it hasn't even established the basics in composition, I say there is much room for improvement.

Stephanie Loves: "'I didn't say I was old but nobody's time is forever.'"

Radical Rating: 5 hearts: Doesn't particularly light any of my fires; I feel indifferent about this book. ♥♥♥♥♥