Thursday, June 2, 2011

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥: Position of the Day by Nerve


Warning. I talk about SEX in this review, so if you are Christian, conservative, or dignified, please stay away from this post! Thank you!

Position of the Day
Nerve

Release Date: August 28th, 2003
Publisher: Chronicle
Page Count: 376
Source: As a Babeland affiliate, I received one free copy of Position of the Day by Nerve in exchange for an honest review. I was not paid, compensated, nor sponsored in any way to write a positive review, and all opinions expressed are purely my own.

Sex every day in every way.
A position a day keeps the love doctor away.
There aren't too many words to describe this book, considering there aren't any words in it at all! Composed solely out of pictures (of ah... ahem, sex positions), Position of the Day is almost like a photograph calendar. One picture for each day. 365 pictures total, for 365 days. As in one year.

Unlike a real calendar though, this book isn't specifically dated (it only says Jan. 1, Jan. 2, et cetera), which means you don't have to chuck it after a year. You can use it again and again if you'd like, and the best part is, it never gets boring, since you only repeat each position annually. 

I love how unlike most Kama Sutra books, this one actually offers realistic sex positions you can try, ones that don't require you to tuck one leg behind your head and roll the other under the natural alignment of your hip bones for "maximal pleasure"... you know what I'm talking about. I'm flexible, dammit, not a carnival acrobat! My boyfriend and I skimmed through the book together and dogeared (don't worry; that's not a position) the ones we found interesting or just really arousing. And then we (cover your eyes!!!) tried a couple of the real winners and had a smashing great time. Initially, I found this method frustrating because there are no captions or instructions in this little pocket-sized book. So it is basically a guess-and-check sort of thing. Hate to put it that way, but for lack of refined words, it's the best way I can describe it. However, I do suppose simplicity is what puts intrigue into a good book. Without any pesky suggestions invading the cartoon-like drawings of this playful Kama Sutra, it leaves my boyfriend and I, the readers, the performers, openminded and able to do whatever we wish. No twisting around to read from a book during reverse cowgirl (not that I've tried reading during sex before...)—it is essentially up to us to make the most of our own pleasure, and for that type of freedom, I am truly grateful.

One thing that bothered me was the repetition. I should have mentioned this before, but the "you only repeat positions annually" thing is sort of a scam. I found a few positions in this book—for example, the January 10th and December 31st positions; that's only 10 days apart!—that are exactly the same, only are called different names. Which, if you think about it, is a creative way to deceive the reader, but not a very lovely discovery for the reader herself. Yes, I am talking in the third person.

If you're still reading this, I apologize for the uncouthness of this post. There's no smoother way I can really discuss sex. At least not on this blog.

Radical Rating: 7 hearts: Not without flaws, but overall enjoyable. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥