Saturday, May 14, 2011

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥: Teen Cuisine by Matthew Locricchio

Teen Cuisine
Matthew Locricchio

Release Date: October 1st, 2010
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Page Count: 207
Source: Complimentary copy provided by FSB Media in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you!!)

Renowned chef Matthew Locricchio's Teen Cuisine is a one-of-a-kind cookbook that introduces adolescents to more than 50 mouthwatering recipes. For beginning cooks and seasoned chefs, its step-by-step instructions feature fresh, nutritious ingredients and show-stopping dishes made from scratch.
What Stephanie Thought: When it comes to food, most of my experiences go like this:

Somebody: Hey Stephanie, you like to eat, right? Are you good at cooking?
Me: No, no. I can't be good in every room of the house!

But seriously. Considering I'm the kind of person who could burn a caesar salad, most people would not come to me first (or at all) for food catering needs. Which is why when I saw this cookbook that clearly states it is for neophytes, I knew it was perfect for me.

Many of the recipes featured in Teen Cuisine are indeed a very innovative way to get kids to enjoy their time in the kitchen. The four recipes I tried out (California-style pizza, Alabama Festival Shrimp, Po-Boy Sandwich, and Slow Cakes) ended up fantastic: easy-to-follow, orderly, and most importantly, tasty

I wish the recipe instructions would have had more pictures. For a beginner's cookbook, this one isn't as effortless as it leads on to. I would have loved progressive images to keep track of where I was while cooking, sort of like in origami or other craft books. 

Also, easy cooking does not necessarily mean healthy cooking. Though a lot of the recipes call for "whole-grain" and "fresh" ingredients, it is evident by the foods themselves, such as the Max Mac and Cheese and Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza, that these are not exactly heart-healthy selections. I'll admit I'm sort of a nut about these kinds of things. The recipes are super, yes, and even better, simple, but if you closely watch what you eat, Teen Cuisine's greasy choices may not be ideal for you.

Stephanie Loves: The recipe for California-style pizza (link courtesy of the amazing Pioneerwoman). Think California Pizza Kitchen or what I like to call sun pizzas! Yummm.

Radical Rating: 8 hearts: An engaging read; highly recommended. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥