Friday, May 27, 2011

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥: I am Going Where I Belong by Hans Lindor

I am Going Where I Belong
Hans Lindor

Release Date: February 25th, 2011
Publisher: Enaz
Page Count: 150
Source: Complimentary copy provided by Pump Up Your Book Promotions, via Romancing the Book, in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you both!)

I am Going Where I Belong is a gripping journey through the plight of a once wealthy immigrant family. Chriscile Leger, mother of two, is forced to flee her native country with her children after her husband is brutally assassinated during a coup d'etat.  I am Going Where I Belong is filled with heartrending turns of fate that, through their believability, make each character vibrantly engaging for the reader.
What Stephanie Thought: You could write a book about your life if you've done something exceedingly accomplished. Set foot on the moon. Won the Nobel Prize. Served as president. Hans Lindor hasn't come close to doing any of those things, but he has watched a  little girl get raped. He has experienced the horrendous murders of both his parents. He has lost his beautiful wife, as well as his unborn daughter. And his story, one that's desperate to be told, comes alive in his memoir, I am Going Where I Belong through simple, yet powerful prose that reveals something even more astonishing than the previous, as each page turns.

We all take moments and reflect upon our lives. We all stop and think, "Well, this sucks," without really knowing what could be worse. The truth is, a lot could be worse, and Lindor has lived through a majority of the ones I can think of. At the raw, innocent age of fifteen, upheaval goes through the roof in his already poor and already troubled mother country of Haiti, and he and his family are forced to find refuge in America. Once, he was the son of a wealthy, powerful businessman, but within a matter of seconds, he becomes a penniless, fatherless boy who is dropped in a foreign country where he can hardly even understand the language. 

But we all know what it's like to be an immigrant in America. Especially a black immigrant, a Negro, as Lindor's classmates taunt, in the mid-1900s. The strength he empowers into the comments of his nasty peers, as well as the unfair judgments he turns his head away from, both touched and surprised me in this humble book.

Fortunately, Lindor's luck begins to turn when he meets the woman of his dreams. It does another 180° when a troubling crime is committed and he gets caught in the middle of it—then is sentenced for years in jail.

By this point, you'd think one would want to give up on their life. But Hans Lindor didn't, and I think that is what makes him bravest and most admirable of all.

The book itself is rather poorly written; I wonder if Lindor even had an editor. However, the honest frustrations portrayed throughout the book allow all readers, or any race, age, and gender, to relate to his struggles, even if they may not be as disastrous as his own. I clutched I am Going Where I Belong and sympathized with the author throughout the entire journey, and let out a long-held breath at its satisfying, rejuvenating finish.

Stephanie Loves: "I wasn't born a victim of life nor its slave. I just became a victim of circumstances at the mercy of the society. My thoughts had always been the same—this world is a delusion of nightmare, a drama in which we are all eager for the finale. Just as my mother used to say, I am going where I belong; but I am going nowhere."

Radical Rating: 7 hearts: Not without flaws, but overall enjoyable. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥