Sunday, September 19, 2010

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥: Sizzling Seduction by Gwyneth Bolton

I love the romance genre, and Harlequins have always been proven to be especially ineffable since they're short, sweet, and simple. I'm not too big of a Harlequin Suspense fan, but I do love the very stereotypical "single-mother-meets-handsome-stranger-and-ends-up-marrying-him" ones. They are so realistic and easy to read; it explains why I have so many at home! However, I had never considered trying a Kimani Romance until I picked up a copy of Gwyneth Bolton's Protect and Serve. I read the back cover and immediately, I was hooked! I was excited to hear that it was actually a series, with three more books coming out after it. Sizzling Seduction, the fourth and last installment of Bolton's captivating and sultry series, tells the tale of the last Hightower brother and the love his heart is able to find. I actually did not get a chance to read the second and third books in the series, but the last book still made a wonderful stand-alone novel, and it was great to see some recurring characters (brothers of male protagonist, Patrick). Hope you enjoy Sizzling Seduction by Gwyneth Bolton:

Sizzling Seduction (Hightower Brothers #4)
Gwyneth Bolton

Page Count: 224
Release Date: 1 October, 2009
Publisher: Kimani Romance (Harlequin)
Source: Gifted from author (in no way expecting a review, nor a positive one, for that matter... thank you, Gwyneth!!!)


Some like it hot... Firefighter Patrick Hightower will take any risk in the line of duty. But risking his heart again? That's something he's vowed never to do. He prefers scorching affairs—the briefer, the better—though he might make a temporary exception for smart, sexy teacher Aisha Miller. Only Aisha isn't interested in exploring their instant, searing connection—no matter how much she feels the heat.

Aisha has had enough of dominant men trying to control her life, and the gorgeous firefighter who visits her kindergarten class is alpha male through and through. Yet the gentler side Patrick shows, especially around her young son, gradually melts her reserve. As shadows from Aisha's past resurface, she'll discover just how far Patrick will go to prove she's found her real-life hero.

Aisha has suffered enough to last a lifetime. Not only did her first marriage end with domestic abuse, but she also hasn't been able to find a man in a long time—she doesn't need one. Or does she? She doesn't quite realize how lonely she was until she meets more-than-gorgeous Patrick Hightower, firefighter, at the local station. From the beginning, the attraction is undeniable; even he makes moves on her. But Aisha won't leave her heart open that easily.

The synopsis was really intriguing; I kept the book in my hands and I couldn't put it down because I had to find out what would happen next! Like most Harlequin books, it was a quick, enjoyable read.

There were some things that surprised me though. The end was sort of predictable (your typical happily-ever-after ending), but in between, Aisha's ex-husband showed up. I did not see this coming at all. There was only one scene with him in the entire story, but with the first sentence describing his coldness, Bolton really made me hate him as character.

Also, Aisha's adorable son tugged at my heartstrings way too often. He was so adorable but grew up without a proper dad, so it was really evident how unhappy he was. Bolton sure knows how to catch the emotions of her readers. In the end, I was so happy that Aisha and Patrick got married; solely because her son now had a good father :)

I would totally recommend Sizzling Seduction for anyone who wants the variety. The novel is light-hearted and day-to-day paced, but there are some very intense (i.e.: steamy) scenes, and some really sad ones as well. It perfectly describes a family fairy-tale, so if you like closing a book with a full, satisfied feeling, I recommend you read this one.

Radical Rating: 7 hearts: Not without flaws, but overall enjoyable. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥