Friday, September 3, 2010

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥: I So Don't Do Makeup by Barrie Summy

Didn't get this one cheap, but free! It's not an actual copy, and just an Advanced Reading Copy, but I was fortunate enough to snag one from RandomHouse and review it. I outgrew middle age novels when I was about twelve, but I still like to read them for variety. Here's I So Don't Do Makeup by Barrie Summy
I So Don't Do Makeup (I So Don't Do Mysteries #3)
Barrie Summy

Page Count: 288
Release Date: 11 May, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Press (Random House)

Source: Complimentary ARC provided by RandomBuzzers (publisher) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you!)

No one messes with Sherry's mascara! A little cherry lip gloss never hurt anybody, right? That's what I thought until my sleepover. My friends went to bed all happy and moisturized... and woke up with serious skin issues! Luckily, I happen to be pretty good at solving mysteries. Because now I'm skin deep in one.

Someone's tampering with the makeup at the mall kiosk where Amber works, and she needs my help. I'm kind of a crime-solving celebrity. My mom is a ghost (really!), and together we've worked on some important cases.

But I'm tackling this mystery by myself. I'm even going undercover—without makeup—to solve it. That's right, if I'm going to crack this case, I'll have to say... I so don't do makeup.
I really didn't expect to like this book. Just by looking at the cover, you think that it's "just another chick-lit for preteenage wannabees" and then by reading the title, that thought is confirmed. The protagonist, Sherry, considers herself a sleuth (her name's short for Sherlock). In this book's case, she is playing detective to catch the horrible person who's been tainting the makeup at her favorite mall kiosk. I hadn't realized that this book was third in a series of Sherry's adventures. However, I read it fine without reading the first two books, so it makes a great stand-alone novel.

Most of the plot, as you can expect, was all happy-go-lucky. Sherry is thirteen, has a boyfriend, an extensive vocabulary, and an oddly quick thinking process. Yet, she's never worn makeup (before her incidental sleepover), loves glitter, and hates her stepmother. Is she mature, or immature for her age? I'm not quite sure. Also, there are some supernatural elements involved: her mom, who passed away, comes to visit her as a ghost, and Sherry always looks forward to meeting up with her. 

The book is very fast-paced and fairly entertaining. I went through it in about three hours. Nothing fancy to particularly stick in my mind (heck, I'm already forgetting some of it... but in my defense, it's been a few months since I've read it), and it definitely is sort of painful to read at times (everything in Sherry's life is so disgustingly perfect, which bothered me a bit). All the events are things that would never happen in real life because real life never works that accurately. There are almost no surprises in the story, and when there is the teensiest trouble (the face mask caused rashes!), someone always comes to the rescue immediately (of course her stepmom is a health freak who just has soothing cream in her medicine cabinet. Really?). And obviously, the ghost mother thing. Note to author: if you're going to incorporate a ghost in the story, at least make it meaningful and realistic! Sherry's ghost mom only took away from the action!

All in all, it wasn't bad. But it's not something that'll haunt/affect me for the rest of my life either.

Radical Rating:  7 hearts: Not without flaws, but overall enjoyable. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Hope you enjoyed the review!